Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Twittered

Count me among the growing ranks of Tweeple. ... at least today.

A couple of hours ago, I joined Twitter and posted a message, something rather boring about the weather and economy here in Jackson Hole.

Who will read it? I have no idea. What will they get from it? I can't imagine. Why did I do it? Can't really say.

Perhaps it's an "I'm in with the in crowd" kind of thing. Twitter is written about so much these days that I was beginning to think maybe I was missing something, although I haven't cared enough to actually bone up on the topic. Then, a "how to Twitter" column by Julia Angwin of the Wall Street Journal inspired me to dip a toe in the water. Now that I've Twittered, I'm still missing something: the point.

I like to think I have Goldilocks self-esteem. Not too high. Not too low. Just right. It's hard for me to believe many people need or want to read my fleeting thoughts. The few who might would probably just as soon talk to me in person.

Besides, that "in with the in crowd" thing has a flip side. One goal on Twitter is to get yourself a whole bunch of followers. So if you don't, are you some kind of loser? I have a Facebook account, too, but haven't done a thing with it. No. 1, I don't see the point of that either, and No. 2., I heard one acquaintance making fun of another for having only two friends on Facebook. Yikes.

So, really, this "new thing" consisted solely of proving I could and would try Twitter. If nothing else, I had something to blog about today.

An amusing aside to end this post: In the comments section on Julia Angwin's WSJ story, I read this: "I suspect that all twitterers are liberals. I suspect they have too little to occupy their attentions, and undefined goals to achieve."

Someone's onto me.

No comments: