Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Read a book by Ariana Franklin

Some people like Match.com, some prefer eHarmony.

My matchmaker of choice is Amazon.com. Time after time, Amazon finds me that special someone, that person who shares my oddball collection of interests, that person called an author.

Most recently, based on the tastes indicated by my previous purchases, Amazon introduced me to Ariana Franklin and her book "Mistress of the Art of Death." I checked it out to see if it offered what I like. The Middle Ages? Check. Murder mystery? Check. Female sleuth? Check. One of a series featuring the same character? Check. I hit the one-click purchase option and soon the book appeared in my Kindle. If only all set-ups could go so smoothly.

"Mistress of the Art of Death" takes place in 12th century England. Its protagonist is Adelia, who is a doctor - highly unusual in her time. She's particularly interested in examining dead bodies, even cutting them up, to find out why people died, kind of like a Medieval Kay Scarpetta. The story is set in Cambridge, England. Four young children have been brutally murdered, and the town's Jew's have been blamed and persecuted for it. Adelia employs her medical skills to solve the case and even finds love in the process.

The book was fun and interesting, just like any good blind date. Since this is a three-book series, I have at least two more outings with Ariana Franklin. After that, I'll be back on Amazon looking for the next new thing.

No comments: