Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Art Alive @ 12:05

"You're never too old to make great art."

An inspiring quote, no? It comes from Todd Wilkinson, a Bozeman, Mont.-based newspaper/magazine/book writer (now working on an authorized bio of Ted Turner), who spoke today at an "Art Alive @ 12:05" event at the National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson, Wyo. About 50 people, including me, turned out to hear Todd talk about Frank Benson, an American artist (1862-1951) credited, according to Tood, with making sporting prints a distinctive art form. We all gathered in the museum gallery where one of Benson's works, "Chickadees," hangs. Benson completed the watercolor-on-paper work in 1945, when he was 83. Hence Todd's remark about age and art. I love it.

For years I've seen announcements for Art Alive @ 12:05 programs in the Diversions calendar of the Jackson Hole News&Guide. Today I finally got organized and motivated to go. So it's my latest new thing.

No comments: