Friday, July 24, 2009

Molly Marx

I hope they make this book into a movie. I picture Isla Fisher in the role.

Molly Marx is a 35-year-old New Yorker, recently deceased, who worked as an interior-design stylist for magazines. She and her husband, Barry, have a young daughter, and Molly also had a boyfriend on the side, Luke. The story is about Molly's life but also the mystery of her death. From the great beyond, called The Duration in this book, she watches her parents, husband, lover, twin sister, best friend and cute detective deal with her demise.

Sally Koslow is a wonderful writer. My favorite passage is when Molly tells her marriage therapist what she wants from marriage:

"I want to come first. We can count off my flaws from here to the Fourth of July but I want him to find at least some of them endearing. ... I want him to feel that the happiest accident he every had was meeting Molly Divine, that I'm in every breath he takes. ... I need to feel my husband is absolutely bonkers about me. ... "

Well put, Molly Mark (Sally Koslow). Seem simple .. but, ahhh.

No comments: