Friday, July 3, 2009

Said goodbye to a friend


"Fate chooses your relations, you choose your friends."
- Jacques Delille (1738 - 1813) French poet.

One night a week ago I had a phone conversation with my friend Christa, who I met in Chicago about 18 years ago. Our conversation was only so-so, but i just chalked it up to fatigue or bad moods and figured the next one would be better. Ten hours later I got a call from a friend that Christa was dead. So there's not going to be another phone conversation. It's a good lesson to never take anything for granted. We all hear that, at least I know I do, but rarely pay attention.

Christa's very excellent good friend Ron Berg wrote a beautiful eulogy. This is part of it:'

"Christa, I won’t use the term Free Spirit to describe you . It is cliché and overused. I will simply thank you for teaching me to roller skate, ,,, in the living room ... after midnight. I have learned the lesson that just because you are dressed for work, you can still do cartwheels. I will never forget that a summer downpour is a call to run out on the sidewalk and dance. You taught me that it is always better to go to a bad street fair on a ninety degree day than to sit home and watch TV. We discovered that a bad play at a storefront theater can be the most wonderful time if you want it to be. Christa, you have demonstrated courage to me time and again, by being the person who is the most terrified to fly and the most traveled. I thank you for standing by me and being my friend for all these decades."

No comments: