Saturday, January 17, 2009

Skied at Teton Pines

Don't tell Dick Cheney, but a liberal Democrat played in his backyard today.

I love cross-country skiing, and I love doing it in Jackson Hole. Over the past nine years I've hit the trails in a variety of places, but never Teton Pines, a gated community on the west bank of the Snake River where Mr. Cheney owns a home. So for today's new thing, I took my skis to Teton Pines. If you're not a Pines resident, you have to pay: $10 a visit or $8 if you buy a 10-visit punch card.

I regret not having tried it sooner. The trail, which runs around the golf course, was perfectly groomed both for Nordic skiing and skate skiing. There were just enough other people out so that I didn't feel lonely but not so many that any of us crowded each other. In addition to having great track, the course is surrounded by beautiful homes, and the Tetons provide a gorgeous backdrop. It was a perfect winter day in Jackson Hole, warm enough to ski without a hat but still crisp and clear. The sun glinted off the snow and I enjoyed an hour of no noise other than the crunch and squeak of my skis.

You have a wonderful backyard, Mr. Cheney. We don't see eye to eye on much of anything, but we both like Jackson Hole.

No comments: