Saturday, January 17, 2009

Lost a writing contest

Posting this as a "new thing" is kind of a joke, but it's true that I've never lost a writing contest before, because I'd never entered one. The winners of the Frank Nelson Doubleday Memorial competition were announced a few days ago, and alas, I was not among them. I'm definitely disappointed. But I remind myself: The winning entries were deemed better than mine, which doesn't necessarily mean my written piece was worthless. ... or does it?

Here's a quote from the book "Breathing On Your Own" Quotations from Independent Thinkers," compiled by Richard Kehl. There is no attribution:

"And I recall an account of Trollope going up to London to pick up a rejected manuscript from a publisher, getting on the train to return home, laying the bulky bundle on his lap face down, and beginning a new book on the back pages of the rejected one."

3 comments:

Wyoming Arts said...

Dear 365 Days: Inspiring and off-beat blog. The WAC says this: keep entering those writing contests.

Wyoming Arts said...

Oops. Must remember to follow my own advice and edit before I post. Best of luck on life and blogging, "365 New Things" and not "365 Days."

Unknown said...

Thank you for including the quote about Trollope. Trollope did not waste time ruing what could have been. He took the left-overs of that effort and used them to start his next creation.

I ran across a beautifully framed art print of this quote twenty years ago, at a time of extreme personal challenges. Ever since, when major changes or challenges come into my life, I get out the framed print, hang it in a prominent place, and feel inspired to start writing the new chapter of my life, and not to dwell on the death of what I had expected or hoped for.

My print also says "source unknown". I have searched for years to see if I can find it, to no avail.
Thank you!