Thursday, August 6, 2009

Volunteered at Snow King Hill Climb




Since I volunteered at a mountain bike race a month ago, it's probably stretching things to call volunteering at the Snow King Hill Climb today a "new thing." But it was my first time, so I think it qualifies.
Although the course is only 2.3 miles long, this is a foot race I'll never try. Runners start at the Town Square in downtown Jackson head towards Snow King. That part is a flat half mile, easy enough. But then it climbs 1.8 steep miles over alpine terrain and switchbacks, a path I don't find easy even just walking. I helped other parks and rec employees at the finish line up top, recording racers' bib numbers and times. Wish I could say I'd run the race, but volunteering counts for something, too, especially when it involves getting out of bed at 6 a.m. on a Saturday.



No comments: