Monday, February 2, 2009

Sled-Dog Race

I've never seen a dog-sled team race in real life, but because I live in Jackson Hole, the opportunity to do so rolls around once a year. The International Pedigree Stage Stop Sled Dog Race starts from the Town Square in the heart of downtown Jackson and winds through 11 Wyoming towns before finishing in Park City, Utah. The 2009 race drew 20 racers, most from the U.S. but some from Scotland and Canada as well.
As I watched the start of this year's race, I paid little attention to the human competitors. It's the dogs that are the stars. I expected huskies and malamutes, but these were relatively little guys (and girls), mostly mixed breed and all lean and short-haired. What's most fun to see is how excited they are to run. They seem to really want to race.
All in all, a fun thing to watch.

No comments: